Electrolytes are salts consumed through food that help our bodies regulate their core functions. Their primary purpose is to help maintain the body’s fluid balance, which in turn helps keep organs, nerves and muscles working at their best.
Naturally, you want to make sure your body has enough electrolytes to do its job. Since our bodies can’t generate electrolytes on their own, we need to get them through our diets.
If you’re one of the many who has switched to a keto diet, you’ll want to stay conscious of your body’s electrolyte levels. There’s no denying that going keto can bring you measurable health benefits, including lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, weight loss and more.
But when you’re eating a low-carb, high-fat diet, you may be naturally consuming less sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium and other kinds of electrolytes. If you work out regularly, you’re also losing electrolytes through your sweat.
That means you’ve got to replenish! Read on below for the best ways to do that.Fuel Your Body with Our Collection of Electrolyte Powders!
How to Avoid Low Electrolytes on Keto
Luckily, avoiding an electrolyte imbalance is relatively simple, thanks to the advent of convenient electrolyte pills and other supplements. You can also make sure you don’t lose out on electrolytes by pumping up your diet with foods rich in these healthy salts.
- Take an Electrolyte Supplement — By far the simplest way to ensure that you’re getting the ideal number of electrolytes is by taking a supplement designed to replenish the body’s natural stash. With convenient, keto-friendly electrolyte powder and other supplements, you can refuel the body’s supply without the high sugar content of sports drinks. Here are some great ways to supplement:
- Make an electrolyte-rich smoothie using keto-approved ingredients, such as electrolyte powder, fruits and leafy greens. Drink one before or after you work out to ensure that you replace the electrolytes lost during exercise.
- Whip up a batch of lemonade with electrolytes using lemonade-flavored electrolyte powder and a few slices of fresh lemon.
- Take an electrolyte pill with the rest of your vitamins and supplements at dinnertime. This is a smart way to make sure you’re optimizing electrolyte levels without adding any additional calories to your diet.
- Eat Electrolyte-Rich Foods — Paying attention to what you eat will also help you naturally replenish your supply of electrolytes. These crucial little compounds are found in all sorts of healthy, keto-friendly foods. You’ll find plenty of electrolytes in avocados, bananas, broccoli, beans, almonds, peanuts and dark green, leafy veggies. Here are some more ways to ensure that you get enough electrolytes through what you eat:
- Add a bit of salt to your diet. Sodium is a key electrolyte that can quickly restore the body’s stash. Just make sure to keep your sodium intake at a healthy level — less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) per day, according to the CDC — and don’t overdo it if you have any medical conditions that require a low-sodium diet. Aim for natural, healthy sources of sodium, such as cured meats, bone broth and salted nuts and make sure to avoid processed, packaged foods.
- Use avocado oil when cooking or making salad dressings. Avocado is richer in electrolytes than olive oil and can help you boost your electrolyte levels. Avocados are an excellent source of potassium, so they’re great for muscle recovery and post-workout replenishment.
- Top off your leafy salads with lots of nuts and seeds, as these will add a hearty crunch and also contribute plenty of magnesium and prosperous.
- Don’t forget the olives and pickles. These tasty, keto-friendly snacks are cured or brined in salt water, which means they’re rich in sodium that can help replenish your natural electrolyte levels.
Pay Attention to Signs of Electrolyte Imbalance
If you’re paying attention to what you eat and optimizing your diet for a healthy electrolyte level, you should never experience a deficiency. However, make sure you know the signs of electrolyte imbalance — dizziness, cramps, confusion, irregular heartbeat, etc. — so you can quickly replenish at the first indication.
Here at Key Nutrients, we want to help you simplify electrolyte optimization so you feel your absolute best throughout your health journey. Be sure to explore all our delicious and convenient electrolyte supplements to make the process easier than ever.